Swim Ireland have introduced a Competition Pathway, a Swimming Domestic Competition Season Plan (2022-2023) and Explanatory Notes which set out the competitions to be held at a National and Regional level throughout the year.
This document explains the pathway that Swim Ireland have in place from the time that an athlete begins their competitive career until they reach National level competition.
- All Swim Ireland competitions are open to all Swim Ireland registered members subject to relevant qualification criteria as applicable
- Athletes ages will be defined as their age on 31st December of the year of the competition - eg, an athlete born in 2009 will swim as a 12-year-old during 2021 and a 13-year-old during 2022. This applies to all competitions except for schools which will be defined as 31st August of the school year and Inter/Intra club galas who can use age on day if preferred
- There is detailed information on each of the Competition Types including eligability criteria - ages and qualifying standards:
- Regional and National Schools
- Intra-Club Gala
- Inter-Club Gala
- Club Invitational / Open Meet
- Skills Challenge (In-House)
- Regional Future Challenger Series (replaces the Regional Development events)
- Regional Aspiring Champions Series (replaces the Regional Qualifying events)
- Super Series
- Regional Championships
- National Meets and National Championships.
Domestic Competition Plan
Swim Ireland’s Domestic Competition Plan sets out the competitions to be held Regionally and Nationally throughout the year.